Apps for Good is a project that offers young people knowledge to develop digital applications (apps) with high social content that help them solve their daily problems, based on their interest in technology and entrepreneurship.
Apps for Good is an application created by the non-profit organization CDI Europe in collaboration with Dell and the support of people and companies from the world of technology and creativity such as Orange, Talk Talk, and Ogilvy.
The program trains young people by offering them a platform for launching social enterprise and the world of technology, design, and innovation. Young people learn to create imaginative mobile applications that change their world by creating applications that solve real-life problems that are important to them and their community.
The project addresses offering a response to the following educational challenges:
• The entrepreneurial capacity of young people is lacking and they have a great interest in technology, especially mobile.
• The number of girls who decide to study technical subjects is very low in general terms.
• Lack of motivation for learning in adolescents.
• The values of active citizenship and social entrepreneurship do not have a practical application in most educational systems.
The goal of Apps for Good is for young people to learn to create imaginative mobile applications that help them change their environment.
• Motivate a passion for technology and social enterprise.
• Encourage them to use technology to solve problems for social good.
• Develop entrepreneurial skills and increase self-confidence.
• Build bridges between young people and business and knowledge networks so they can support them.
• Get young people, volunteer entrepreneurs, and educators to connect, to help each other successfully solve the problems detected through mobile technology. [/ Su_spoiler]
Apps for Good offers a training course for young people in which it simulates a kind of business process.
First of all, they must detect what the problem is in their environment before designing a mobile application that facilitates its resolution.
During a wide range of areas in which they are introduced into the world of work entrepreneurship, the commitment to Comunidad d, the problem solving, teamwork, and issues of design and technology skills.
Apps for Good works with young and talented people, an industry with plenty of room for creativity, prosperity, and employment.
Participants work as a team to determine which problems they want to attack and figure out the best way to solve them with mobile and web applications. Looking for a way to solve these real problems, which affect them and their community, the students also know and learn, in a very practical way, all the software they need to create the application.
While learning technical skills is invaluable, Apps for Good also offers students the opportunity to:
• Use cutting edge technology in a creative, attractive, and constructive way.
• Act positively and proactively at school and the face of local problems, offering links between the feelings of the students and the citizens.
• Learn in a personalized and self-taught way.
• Gain experience to work both independently and as a team in the “real world” with pressures and expectations.
• Develop basic skills in communication/presentation, teamwork, critical and analytical thinking, and problem-solving.
• Engaging in the “real world” and working with networks of experts and professionals and in processes in an environment other than school.
The course is very practical and interactive, and consists five main stages:
1. Definition of the problem
Participants first know what can be done with mobile, what an application is, what functions are available and they use App Inventor and different tutorials.
Through various exercises they learn to recognize, in a very personal way, real opportunities in the market: they look for and analyze real stories, with real problems, that they themselves or people around them have experienced. By sharing and discussing these experiences, they identify problems that occur daily for further investigation.
The teams investigate the problems detected by contacting and interviewing the affected parties to better understand the context so that the applications they are going to create can add value. When you get to know your audiences better, their motivations and interactions, you will be able to create an application that is useful to them. At the end of the research, the ideas that come up are analyzed by a group of experts in design, development, and business.
3. Solution design
The teams must find the best solution for the design of their application and they look for the best way to organize their company to achieve the success of their application: they look for marketing strategies, distribution, and business plan.
4. Product design
With the design of the solution to the problem already identified, the teams focus on improving the design of their product, testing, and testing with potential users of the application.
5. Construction and testing
Using various tools, including App Inventor, they will work to create the first application prototype that they will introduce to the android market. Then they will work to test and improve the design and get feedback from the public.